Neck pain prevalence here in the US exceeds 30 percent among adults, with nearly 50 percent of adults dealing with recurring or chronic neck pain. So, if you are dealing with neck pain you certainly aren’t alone. While acute forms can be caused by strain, poor posture, and heavy lifting, if you are dealing with recurring or chronic head and neck pain then you may want to turn to a doctor for immediate care. Here at United Pain Urgent Care, we provide same-day care to those who can’t wait to get their pain under control.
What causes head and neck pain?
If you are dealing with neck pain along with head pain this could be due to a tension headache, migraine, or TMJ disorder-related headache. Other causes of head and neck pain include,
- Poor posture
- Caffeine withdrawal
- A ruptured or bulging disc
- Nerve compression
Neck pain may also be accompanied by,
- Stiff muscles
- Decreased range of motion in the neck
- Pain or weakness in the arm
- Numbness or tingling in the arm (common in nerve compression)
Neck pain is one of the most common problems that our primary doctors see here in Reno. The very first thing we will do when you come into the office is to try and identify the cause of your pain. This will ensure that we provide you with an effective treatment plan.
We will perform a comprehensive assessment of your neck pain, which will include,
- Asking thorough questions regarding your pain and symptoms
- Going through your medical history
- Performing a physical examination of the neck
- Performing a neurological exam to test muscle strength, mobility, and reflexes
- Running imaging tests or bloodwork, if necessary
When does head and neck pain require immediate care?
While some neck pain can be treated through rest and home care, you should turn to our team if,
- Your head or neck pain doesn’t go away in a week with at-home care
- The pain gets worse or becomes severe
- Your neck pain is accompanied by neck stiffness and a fever
- You have pain that radiates down your arm
- There is sudden numbness, tingling, or weakness in the arm
head and neck pain is making it difficult to get through the day,
know that our medical team here in Reno, NV, can provide you with the
immediate, custom treatment you need to manage your pain