How your pain management doctor in Reno, NV, can help with complex regional pain syndrome
CRPS, or complex regional pain syndrome is a chronic pain condition typically affecting an arm or a leg. CRPS can develop from a previous surgery, injury, stroke, or heart attack. Dr. Ali Nairizi at United Pain Urgent Care in Reno, NV, provides comprehensive pain management services, including diagnosis and treatment of CRPS.
What is CRPS?
There are some definite signs and symptoms you may notice in the affected area. These could indicate you may be suffering from CRPS. Watch out for:
- Burning, throbbing pain
- Cold or touch sensitivity
- Swelling, or temperature changes
- Skin color and texture changes
- Changes in nail or hair growth
- Joint swelling, stiffness, and damage
- Muscle weakness, spasms, or tremors
- Loss of movement in the body part
There are two types of CRPS, each with similar symptoms, including those listed above:
Type 1 – which occurs after an injury or illness that did not directly damage the nerves in the affected area.
Type 2 – which occurs after a definite nerve injury.
You should seek out the services of a pain management doctor when the pain is so severe that touching or moving the affected area becomes difficult. Your pain management doctor may recommend a combination of treatments for CRPS, including:
- Pain relieving medications
- Antidepressant and anticonvulsant medications
- Corticosteroids to relieve swelling
- Nerve-blocking medications including anesthetics
- Application of heat to the area
- Topical analgesic creams to control pain
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Biofeedback or spinal cord stimulation
- Intrathecal drug pumps to relieve pain
Severe, chronic pain can make you feel hopeless, affecting your ability to enjoy life. If you think you might be suffering from complex regional pain syndrome or CRPS, you need the services of a specialist–your pain management doctor.
Contact Us Today
To learn more about CRPS and how your pain management doctor can help you get relief, call Dr. Ali Nairizi at United Pain Urgent Care in Reno, NV. You can reach him in the office by calling (775) 384-1380, so call today.